Monday 21 September 2015

Finalising the Outcome Based Commissioning process!

14th September 2015- 18th September 2015

This week at the CCG I have continued working on CQUINS (Commissioning for Quality and Innovation) for our mental health provider; CWP. I have been reporting to CWP our feedback for each CQUIN’s evidence that was submitted. I have definitely improved my medical knowledge working at the CCG- I’m grateful I took Biology at A-level as it has certainly helped! I am thoroughly enjoying working in the healthcare sector as it is such a dynamic environment and there is plenty to constantly learn about which I enjoy!

I have also been looking at potential quality standards, outcomes and CQUINs we can incorporate into the Ophthalmology contracts. These are designed to drive measurable quality improvements within the service.

As well as this, I've also been working on finalising the outcome based commissioning process with Amy; the other placement student at the CCG. We have designed a sample process of how a project lead would go about following an outcome based commissioning process starting from identifying the problems in the current system to deciding upon the outcomes and indicators (often the most ambiguous step), redesigning services and how to measure the outcomes' progress. It is a detailed process using examples and best practice. We are now putting together a project plan to proposed time scales. 
I am really enjoying this task as it requires in depth research as it is a relatively new approach with few other CCGs currently performing this way.  With increasing demographic pressures, rising expectations, a widening gap between demand and resources and outdated and over stretched delivery systems, this outcome based approach has the potential to reduce costs and improve the quality of services considerably. Therefore, by outlining a thorough, clear process will help to anticipate any problems when commissioning this way and be most effective. Amy and I are meeting with a few members of staff at the CCG next week to show the process we have come up with so far.

Also this week, I had a meeting with Brenda Smith, the director of Adult Social Care and Independent Living at Cheshire East Council. Brenda was very helpful in giving me an overview of her role in the council and her relationship to the CCG, specifically the Caring Together programme. It was very interesting to see the link and understand her vital roles in strategic and individual commissioning.


No comments:

Post a Comment